Monday, January 29, 2007

Adventures in Wii seeking

So I would like to purchase a Nintendo Wii.

Things have gotten to the point now where you don't have to get up 4 hours before dawn and wait in line to get one at a store, but they are still not making it to the store shelves.

Knowing this, and hearing that Walmart was going to have from 15-20 for sale on the 28th of January I decided to drive to the nearest one an hour before opening(6am) and see if I could get one.

I got there around 6:15am and noticed that there wasn't a line, there were a couple of people sitting in their cars who were clearly waiting for one as well. One guy was playing Mario Kart on his DS, and three others in another car were watching a DVD on a portable DVD player.

Around 6:45 this man and his two kids, who looked to be seven and ten years old respectively, parked their car and went and stood at the entrance. I took this as my cue and went and waited behind them. The guy who was playing Mario Kart joined me, as well as another guy who was trying to get one for his kids.

The two kids were terribly excited and telling the story how they set their alarms so they could get up on time. They were wondering if the people who waited all night on the opening launch were too tired to play when they got home, or if they played all day. They were practically crawling out of their skin with excitement.

After about 5 minutes of standing there a Walmart employee comes out and says "All right, who was here first." We all pointed to the guy and his kids. "Here you go, you get the last one." he said giving them a ticket.

I laughed thinking that it was a pretty funny joke and then I noticed that the ticket he gave out said 15/15 on it. Apparently the first 14 went to employees. I can't really fault the employees from snatching them up early. It's not like they get any other benefits for working there.

If I had been first in line I would have given it to the kids anyhow. They are probably going to remember this day for the rest of their lives, and tell it with distant eyes to their grand kids as they send them off to have their Nintendo virtual world immersion chip implanted in their skull.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home